FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Through meaningful team-based relationships between peers and adults, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. participants engage in valuable STEM experiences relevant to the world around them.
How FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. works
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9. You can form this team however you like: through a school, as a family, with a community group or in any other way.
- Choose an Expo and register to take part (see below). You'll then be sent a Team Meeting Guide for the coach. This guide suggests step by step instructions of how you can organise the team’s activities. You will also receive a LEGO "Inspire Set", which should be included in the LEGO MODEL that the team build, and an Engineering Notebook for each team member.
- A new Challenge is set worldwide each year, based on a real-world topic and you need to download the Challenge document to get started.
- Coach your team as they work on this Challenge over several weeks
- Bring your team to the nearest “Expo” event where they'll present their work to other teams and adults.
You don't need any particular expertise to be a team coach - just an enthusiasm to help the children develop life skills while investigating a STEM topic.
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Children:
- Design and construct a LEGO MODEL using LEGO bricks and motorised moving parts ideally with the LEGO Education WeDo or WeDo 2.0 kits
- Research an area of the real-world topic and show what the team finds out on a SHOW ME poster
- Learn about the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CORE VALUES by working in a group - build self-confidence, knowledge, teamwork and life skills.
You can find more general details about the programme on the global website.
Expos for 2017:
|Expo Location||Expo Date|
|Belfast, W5||Friday 5th May 2017|
|Ealing Library, London||Monday 10th April 2017|
|Preston||Thursday 20th April 2017|
|Coventry||Saturday 20th May 2017|
|Leinster, Ireland||May 2017 (TBC)|
|North Tyneside||Friday 16th June 2017|
|Croydon Library, London||Saturday 17th June 2017|
|Feltham Library, London||Saturday 24th June 2017|
|Bradford||Tuesday 27th June 2017|
|South Tyneside||Thursday 29th June 2017|
|Loughborough||Monday 12th June 2017|
|Birmingham||Friday 14th July 2017|
Registration for all Expos is now open - follow the registration button at the top of this page.
Swing like a monkey, fly like a bat, or hop like a frog into the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CREATURE CRAZE season. Whether in zoos, on the farm, or in your own back garden, we all encounter animals in our lives. In the 2016-2017 CREATURE CRAZE Challenge, over 40,000 children will dive into the wonders of the animal kingdom.
Download this season’s challenge to find out how to get started:
Build your Inspire Set using these instructions:
Find out more about FIRST LEGO League CORE VALUES here:
LEGO WeDo kits provide a great introduction to robotics for this age group and will become an integral part of FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. in future seasons. We highly recommend their use for this programme.
Each year, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. presents a new and exciting Challenge to ignite the creativity of young children. While exploring the real-world theme, teams will learn about simple machines as they build a model made of LEGO elements with a motorized part. They will also learn to present information through a Show Me Poster. Throughout their experience, teams will operate under a signature set of Core Values, celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism®.
How to get involved
If you represent an organisation which is interested in hosting a FIRST LEGO League Jr. Expo, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is FIRST LEGO League Jr (video):
“Students see it as a club, but we look at it as an extension of the school day, because it teaches fundamental science concepts, it encourages teamwork, and builds social skills.”
Jackie Fortner, FLL Jr. Coach