FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Each year a theme relevant to the world around them is chosen as a focus for the children’s work. The teams research the topic, displaying their ideas on a Show Me poster and they also build a motorised LEGO® model. FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. rapidly develops teamwork, design, programming and communication skills, but the most important thing is that it is great fun and makes the children really enjoy STEM subjects.
This year’s challenge theme is...
Get pumped for the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. 2017/2018 season. In the AQUA ADVENTURESM Challenge, more than 40,000 children will navigate the uncharted waters of this important resource. Find out where the water you use in your daily life comes from, and what happens on its way to you. Where will this current voyage carry you?
How FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. works
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9. You can form this team however you like: through a school, as a family, with a community group or in any other way.
- Choose an Expo and register to take part (see below). You'll then be sent a Team Meeting Guide for the coach. This guide suggests step by step instructions of how you can organise the team’s activities. You will also receive a LEGO "Inspire Set", which contains the Inspire Model and lots of bags of extra LEGO® and an Engineering Notebook for each team member.
- A new Challenge is set worldwide each year and you need to download the Challenge document [PDF: 5.88MB] to get started.
- Coach your team as they work on this Challenge over several weeks
- Bring your team to the nearest “Expo” event where they'll present their work to other teams and adults.
You don't need any particular expertise to be a team coach - just an enthusiasm to help the children develop life skills while investigating a STEM topic.
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Children:
- Design and construct a TEAM MODEL using LEGO® bricks and motorised moving parts from the LEGO® Education WeDo or WeDo 2.0 kits.
- Research an area of the real-world topic and show what the team finds out on a SHOW ME poster.
- Learn about the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CORE VALUES by working in a group and building self-confidence, knowledge, teamwork and life skills.
You can find more general details about the programme on the global website.
Expos for 2017-18 to be announced soon.
Registration for all Expos will open in September.
Explore how you use water at home or in your community, the water’s journey, and how to improve a part of this journey.
Create and Test a Team Model to show your ideas.
Share what you learn through your Team Model and a Show Me poster.
Download the challenge document now!
Build your Inspire Model and get it moving using a WeDo 2.0 kit. Download the build instructions here!
|Aqua Adventure Build Instructions|
Watch the Getting Started videos for the Aqua Adventure challenge. They are really helpful.
Find out more about FIRST LEGO League CORE VALUES here:
LEGO® WeDo kits provide a great introduction to robotics for this age group and are an integral part of FIRST® LEGO® League Jr.
Each year, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. presents a new and exciting Challenge to ignite the creativity of young children. While exploring the real-world theme, teams will learn about simple machines as they build a model made of LEGO® elements with a motorised part. They will also learn to present information through a Show Me Poster. Throughout their experience, teams will operate under a signature set of Core Values, celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism®.
How to get involved
If you represent an organisation which is interested in hosting a FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Expo, please contact us at email@example.com
What is FIRST LEGO League Jr (video):
“Students see it as a club, but we look at it as an extension of the school day, because it teaches fundamental science concepts, it encourages teamwork, and builds social skills.”
Jackie Fortner, FLL Jr. Coach