FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Each year a theme relevant to the world around them is chosen as a focus for the children’s work. The teams research the topic, displaying their ideas on a Show Me poster, build a LEGO® model and program one part to move using LEGO Education WeDo 2.0. FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. rapidly develops teamwork, design, programming and communication skills, but the most important thing is that it is great fun and makes the children feel proud of what they have achieved!
The 2018-2019 challenge theme is...
What would it be like to live on the moon? The 2018/2019 FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. season will transport you to a place where you make the rules, learn to thrive and explore all that is around you. Discovery awaits when you join this MISSION MOONSM.
Please download the Challenge document for MISSION MOONSM.
PDF (893 k) Updated July 2018
Brand new this season
MICRO FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. - Bring this exciting STEM and life skills programme into your classroom!
MICRO FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is designed for teachers to run within their lesson time, and ensure every child in their class gets the benefits of what this brilliant programme has to offer.
A good luck video from the International Space Station
Check out this incredible good luck message from astronaut Alexander Gerst all the way up in the International Space Station!
When you receive your FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Inspire set don’t miss an important letter from our very own British astronaut Tim Peake!
Please see and download the Challenge Document for MISSION MOON
The FIRST® Core Values should guide everything your team does. It is very important you understand them and ensure that you can demonstrate to the judges that your team embodies these Core Values.
How FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. works
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds.
Each year a theme relevant to the world around them is chosen as a focus for the children’s work. The teams research the topic, displaying their ideas on a Show Me poster, build a LEGO® model and program one part to move using LEGO Education WeDo 2.0. FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. rapidly develops teamwork, design, programming and communication skills, but the most important thing is that it is great fun and makes the children feel proud of what they have achieved!
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9. You can form this team however you like: through a school, as a family, with a community group or just a group of friends!
- Choose an Expo and register to take part. Team registration costs £35 (plus VAT). Once you have registered and paid, you'll be sent an Inspire Set (big box of LEGO), 6 x Engineering Notebooks and a Team Meeting Guide, which will help you organise your team and guide them through the Challenge..
- Purchase a LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 set. These are available from any LEGO Education distribution partner or through our Official Mindstorms/WeDo 2.0 partner Raising Robots. You will need the WeDo 2.0 to program the model.
- Download the Challenge Document.
- Work through the Team Meeting Guide to complete the Challenge, and allow the children to develop their Poster and Model.
- Bring your team to the nearest Expo where they'll present their work to other teams, share what they have learnt and celebrate their achievements. Each child receives a medal and certificate, and the goal is to send them home feeling incredibly proud of what they have achieved!
You don't need any particular expertise to be a team coach - just an enthusiasm to help the children develop life skills while investigating a STEM topic.
You can find more general details about the programme on the global website
Build instructions video
DOWNLOAD the build instructions for the Inspire Model - Inspire model build instruction
PDF (2472 k) Updated August 2018
LEGO® WeDo kits provide a great introduction to robotics for this age group and are an integral part of FIRST® LEGO® League Jr.
You will need a LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 set to complete the Challenge - please find information on how to purchase one here:
You may find these introductory session videos helpful when
working through the Team Meeting Guide:
Watch our promotional video to find out more...!
“Students see it as a club, but we look at it as an extension of the school day, because it teaches fundamental science concepts, it encourages teamwork, and builds social skills.”
Jackie Fortner, FLL Jr. Coach
How to get involved
If you represent an organisation which is interested in hosting a FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Expo,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Crest Award scheme
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is CREST Accredited
The British Science Association runs the CREST Award scheme. It is a nationally recognised accreditation scheme for STEM project work with 40,000 students in the UK gaining awards each year. Students can complete a Discovery CREST Award whilst competing in the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. during this project.
For further details please see the attached document or visit The British Science Association CREST Awards.